Photo Guidelines for Pet Portraits
Here is a helpful photo guideline for your pet’s painted custom portrait (they also apply to human mascots!).
- Please send high resolution photos: clean, clear, not pixelated. Phone photos are OK but please make sure they are not blurry.
- Take the photo of your pet straight on (as much as possible), use the “cookie trick” where you hold a cookie or toy above the camera to ensure your dog stares at it.
- BUT avoid close-ups. A good distance allows some negative space around the head
- DO NOT take a photo from above, this distorts the final painting or drawing
- Use natural light as much as possible to capture your pet’s accurate colors. Don’t apply filters.
- Faces covered by harsh shadows, clothing or toys will not be suitable.
You can always send several photos if you’re unsure. If this is a gift and you have limited photos of the pet, please contact me so I can review them before placing an order.